With the release of its Alpha 2 version, Planets³ is now called “Stellar Overload“.
There are three reasons behind this : a legal reason (trademark deposit), a better name being directly linked to the story and a name more compatible with web standard.
This new version introduces the craft system, exploration of 6 different biomes and a new enemy.
- Introduced a new part of the story, taking place after the Cognitron Mineshaft: The Rokh Camp
- Renamed the game to Stellar Overload
- Added the crafting system to the game, with 72 recipes
- Added crafting stations
- Added medkits and food recipes to restore health
- Added containers
- Added new crafted materials
- Added 3 new weapons
- Added different types of ammunition to fire with weapons
- Added biomes: taiga, tundra, inlandsis, temperate forest, arid desert and grassland
- Biomes are now chosen using more realistic rules based on temperature and humidity
- Changed the terrain generation algorithm. Added mountains, plains, and so on
- Worked on underground zone generation: crystal in caves, mineral lodes, different types of blocks depending on the current underground zone, and so on
- Used many new materials and vegetation to populate the new biomes
- Added a core to the planet
- Added new animals: new hedgehog, white tiger, foxe, fennec, glowworm
- Added structures with treasure chest across the planet
- Added hackable dead robot from which you can learn new recipes
- Added a jetpack
- Added a flash light
- Added Glowblocks, craftable blocks emitting light
- Cactus and magma now deal damage when touched
- Added many new sounds and replaced old ones
- Added new musics
- Added new ambiances for each biomes
- Smooth transition of ambiances
- Added Arkluoids, a new type of ennemy, and their infestation nests around the planet
- Added tier (from Tier 1 to Tier 3) to zones of the planet, representing the level of the area
- Added pickup item when you kill a creature, destroy a chest, break blocks or drop an item from your inventory
- Added secondary fire mode to some weapons
- Added detailed textures to blocks, and other cool shader effects
- Added an option to activate shadows (this is experimental)
- Activated temporal anti aliasing
- Added beacons on screen to locate distant point of interests
- Added tooltips when rolling over items, or aiming at blocks with a digging tool
- Added a first version of the craft window when using crafting stations
- Improved first person view
- Most of the item icons are now rendered using our engine
- We generate the item icons during the loading of the game, but as a consequence the loading time is now increased
- Added an autosave every 2 minutes. This can be configured in the option window.
- Added a prototype of blueprints in creative mode, to make copy/paste and import/export models between savegames. This is experimental
- You can now build and destroy metablocks
- In creative mode, you can now place prefabs we used for the game (trees, bush, and so on)
- The digging tools now have an automatic digging mode when you keep the mouse button pressed
- You can gather special items when digging the world, eg: berries on bushes
- You can now apply a symmetry to the block/blueprint you are placing in the world, using ALT+R / ALT+T / ALT+Y by default.
- Temporary deactivated multiplayer. We had some major issues, and chose to reactivate it in the next release.
- Trees no longer appear/disappear when changing the level of detail.
- Flower and trees don’t fly above cave holes anymore.
- Sometimes some item icons are very dark.